Monday, October 6, 2008

Ready, Set, Go?

My St. George Marathon Experience:

On Saturday, October 4th my alarm sounded at 4:29 a.m. and I turned it off.  I laid in bed with the thought that I would get up in just a couple minutes.  Next thing I knew I was opening my eyes again and my alarm was broadcasting the time of 6:47 a.m.  Oh no!  The last bus to the starting line left at 5:30 a.m.!  Not only did I miss the bus, but now I realized that my Marathon race had already started . . . and I missed it!  Deep disappointment had just set in . . .
. . . And then I woke up for real!  My alarm clock glowed the time of 4:21 and I felt a great rush of relief.  It was a bad dream, and I still had my race ahead of me!
After catching an early bus and going for a LONG ride, the realities of my race set in:
An untimely fever (the day before), a persistent rain shower, and a constant headwind made up my first Marathon experience, not to mention that 26.2 miles is a LONG, LONG way to run.  It was tough and my final time was not what I had hoped . . . but I finished the biggest run of my life . . . so far.
Of course, on the one hand, just completing a race of that distance is an accomplishment, but I had hoped that my training had made a reachable goal of qualifying for the Boston Marathon.  I was off my goal by over 20 minutes, but I'd like to think that my Friday fever and lousy Saturday weather had much to do with that.
I guess my next Marathon will tell just how much!  But that is a goal for a time in the future!


This picture was taken at the 25 mile mark and I was completely drenched . . . but I was almost to the Finish Line, where I would receive a "Marathon Finisher" medallion and the best ice cream sandwich I'd ever tasted!

Besides my own family, I should also mention that my parents and my youngest sister were there near the Finish to cheer me on.   My Dad's brilliant comment about Marathons after I finished running was, "Marathons really are not much of a spectator sport."  And you know, I would have to agree with him . . . but I appreciated their support in being there all the same.  

17 comments:

Our Loved-up Family said...

THat is really impressive, I would've passed out, 25 miles before! We were driving through St. George from Vegas on Saturday and the weather was not good at all. Hopefully next time you will be fully fit and nice and dry 70 degree weather to run in"

Karen, Mackay, Easton & Kallie said...

congratulations! I'll live vicariously thru you since i won't ever run that far!

Trish said...

So impressive, Liz! So proud of you! My brother in law was racing, also, and was off on his qualifying time. I think everyone was. Next time...

Tara Hoppie said...

Much respect to you and your mad running skills! Seriously, you impress me in more ways than one. Congrats.

P.S. I am glad I finally found your blog!!!

Sarah said...

WAY TO GO!!!!! My dad always says the same thing about running. lol. You are awesome Liz!

Unknown said...

WAY TO GO! I'm sure it was all the rain's fault. I've heard many ST George runner's affected by it.

Good on you! When's the next? (teehee)

Mindy Widdowson said...

Congratulations Liz! What an accomplishment! Are you going to take the winter off or will you continue to run? You look fantastic and I am so happy for you and your achievement!
Love,
Mindy

Katherine said...

I am so proud of you! That is an amazing accomplishment.

BTW - your dream sequence freaked me out!

LehiLeavitts said...

Way to go, Liz. I was bummed to hear about the rain, fever, and headwind, but it's still a great accopmlishment. What race do you have your sight set on now?

Julie said...

Way to go Liz! I was thinking of you when I was running too. Thankfully I didn't have to run as far or in such conditions. You are my hero!

Julie said...

p.s. Happy birthday today!

Christina Mangelson said...

Congratulations! The dream freaked me out! I am so proud of you. I would never in my wildest dreams ever even think about running 26.2 miles. I am trying to run 4 10 minute miles and it is killing me. Happy birthday! We all wish we were there to celebrate with you. Love ya!

Ashley said...

Just wanted to say happy birthday yesterday!

Grampa Laudie/AKA Uncle Rich said...

Wow! What a great blog! Good job! Sorry I haven't visited sooner. Congrats on the run and on your birthday! We love you! Dad Laudie

Amy said...

Happy late birthday to my favorite neighbor. i hope it was tonz of fun! i can't believe that we are getting so old! You are a great friend to me and a wonderful example. I hope your B day was a good one!

Long Family said...

Cute blog Liz! Congratulations on your marathon, that is amazing to me! I have to say, I really enjoy being a spectator at the FINISH LINE of marathons. It's so inspiring. Way to go!

Joseph L. said...

Liz,
congrats on running the race...I'm so impressed.

-Joseph Laudie